Friday, February 17, 2017

Political Protest 101

Political Protest 101

I’ve spent my entire life avoiding politics. It always seemed pointless and hopeless. Political power swings around, but the general trends are consistent. Our American lives gradually improve while our environment gradually withers. Yes, your life is better than your great-grandparents. You get fresh fruit year-round. You don’t have to break the ice on the bucket before you wash your face. And you probably don’t even know anyone with polio, much less cholera or typhus.

But the gradual decay of our environment accelerated abruptly on January 20, 2017. Our new president and both houses seem determined to sacrifice the very land we live on so they can make easy money with their industrial friends.

I am now officially angry.

I am angry enough to write and call both senators and my representative.
I am angry enough to wade through the jargon and tedium of www.congress.gov.
I am angry enough to read some of the proposed legislation.

For the first time in my life, I am angry enough to become Politically Active.

Now, I need a place to store and organize this new information.

I created Aveline’s Odyssey as a practice blog, and a casual attempt at travel writing. It was mostly an experiment. Since it exists, I’m now turning it into my political page. At heart, both topics are about my love for our land and water, our animals, and our skies.

The info I’ve gleaned on protesting:

1) Call your Representative and both of your Senators. That’s 3 phone calls. Here in Colorado, I can trust Senator Bennett to act to protect the land, so it’s not as important for me to call him as often.

2) Keep your call short. The longer you talk, the less time there is for someone else to call in.

3) Give them (the aide, intern or answering machine) your name, your ZIP code, and what you want your representative to support or oppose.

4) According to other sources on the internet, your opinion will be tallied. If there are enough marks, your rep may change his vote. (Yes, "his". I know there 104 women currently serving. But the other 431 members identify as “He”).

5) Call on one issue, state the bill designation, and state your position. Keep it simple and short.

6) When your representatives are home, go to the meetings and speak up. Multiple sources agree that we the people don’t usually bother. Most legislation has so little public input that your voice is clearly heard.

That’s it for Protest 101 – Call. Keep it simple. Give them your ZIP code.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Colorado
Senator Michael Bennett (Democrat) (202) 224-5852

Senator Cory Gardner (Republican) (202) 224-5941

Representative Doug Lamborn (Republican. Colorado Springs-Buena Vista) (202) 225-4422






No comments:

Post a Comment